How your pediatricians in Montgomery, AL, can help with your child’s anxiety or depression
When you have a child, it’s easy to notice when your child isn’t happy. If your child is frequently unhappy, it could be a sign of something else. It could be a sign of anxiety or depression. Your pediatrician can help.
The pediatricians at Payne and Holloway Pediatrics in Montgomery, AL, provide a wide range of children’s medical services, including diagnosis and treatment of anxiety and depression.
Your child may have an anxiety disorder if your child is:
- Afraid when separated from you
- Very fearful about encounters or going somewhere
- Very fearful about going to school and interacting with other students
- Worried about the future because bad events might happen
Your child may also have physical symptoms when experiencing anxiety. These physical symptoms can include:
- Increased heart rate
- Difficulty breathing
- Feeling dizzy, shaky, or sweating profusely
When your child suffers from depression, it means your child is sad on most days and has a sense of hopelessness or helplessness.
Your child may suffer from depression if your child:
- Feels sad or irritable on most days
- Doesn’t want to do fun activities
- Has changes in eating or sleeping patterns
- Often feels tired, or tense and restless
If you notice any of the signs and symptoms of anxiety or depression, the first step is to seek out the help and expertise of your pediatrician.
Your pediatrician will screen and evaluate your child for anxiety and depression and discuss treatment options with you. Treatment may include:
- Medication therapy to limit feelings of anxiety or depression
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy to help your child reframe negative thoughts into more positive ones
- Behavioral therapy to help your child learn to cope with events in a healthy way
- Family therapy to help family members support your child when he or she is anxious or depressed
- Lifestyle modification to help your child feel less stressed
To discover more about the signs, symptoms, and treatment of childhood anxiety and depression, talk with the experts. Call the pediatricians of Payne and Holloway Pediatrics in Montgomery, AL, at (334) 244-7209. Call today.